Monday, August 25, 2008
Premieres

It's getting that time of year again, the time of year where we pick up where our heroes last left off.

The premiere I'm most looking forward to is Heroes.

I must confess, I didn't watch much of last season. That was because I felt like it had deviated from the original vibe too much. I didn't like the heroes being separated from one another or certain plotlines. I couldn't stand Claire's relationship with whatshisname (the one who could fly like Nathan). And that's not just because I'm a Paire fan, but because it was annoying, boring, and had already been done to death by other shows.

But the new season looks promising. I'm intrigued by "Villains". After all, Sylar is delightfully evil, so I have no doubt TPTB will come up with some twisted new characters for us to love to hate.

I'm hoping that if/when Takezo Kensei/Adam Monroe comes back, he's more intense and interesting. I was kind of disappointed in him last season. As for the other villains, I haven't really read too many spoilers. So, I don't know much about it.

I would like to find out more about Adam Monroe's link to other heroes. I was reading the Wikipedia article on him today and it says that he went by "Richard Sanders at an unknown time". What does that mean? As most fans know, Niki's last name is Sanders. Is there any connection?

In 2007, I was convinced (before we knew that much about Takezo Kensei) that perhaps he was somehow linked genetically to other heroes. Is he a relation of Niki's? He could be. He could even be her grandfather. After all, he doesn't age. He could've produced thousands of descendants in his long lifetime. After all, the dude is like 350 years old. If he had a kid in the 1600's and his kid had two kids and their kids had four kids and their kids had eight kids...just imagine. Takezo Kensei could be the 14th great-grandfather of ALL the heroes, which brings me to a point I want to make about incest and pseudo incest.

In the first season, it was revealed that Peter and Claire, to we Paire fans disappointment, are uncle and niece. It seemed incestuous to many, for all they do is flirt. When it came out that Milo Ventimiglia and Hayden Panettiere are dating, many assumed that all that flirting we were seeing was just off-screen chemistry seeping through. That was until we saw a promo for season 3. Claire says to Peter: "I always loved you." And when she said it, it didn't sound like she was speaking to an uncle. That raises the question: Is he really her uncle?

I can't imagine Peter and Nathan not being brothers. And it seems like they have a lot of evidence backing up that Nathan is Claire's father. I don't want Peter and Claire to be uncle and niece. I view them as the hero and heroine of the show. But grimly, I must say, I think it is the case. And since it's the case, does that mean they're supporting incest? Will we find out that these heroic mutations are due to inbreeding? After all, when the gene pool is narrow, certain traits are bound to keep popping up. And if Takezo Kensei is everybody's ancestor (which hasn't been disproven and could totally be true, but is just a theory as of now) then that would mean that the heroes, even though for most of them it isn't illegal incest are still mating in a rather small gene pool. (Though in Peter and Claire's case, their degree of familial relationship would make it totally illegal in most countries.)

Only time will tell which is true. I wouldn't be surprised if Peter and Claire find themselves unrelated, however. After all, the fallout of what happened when it was revealed they were was pretty intense within the Paire community. I imagine the show lost a lot of viewers as many people watched the show JUST for prospective romantic relationship. If they are related, and those people aren't into incest, then it stands to reason that they did lose a certain amount of viewers (which may or may not be a large amount, as I'm speaking in very general terms and don't have access to statistics, etc.)

All of this being said, I can't wait for what they throw at us.

Here is where I give my opinion on various foreign shows being adapted for American consumption:

Kath and Kim

Kath and Kim was originally an Australian show about a dysfunctional mother-daughter duo, from what I've heard. I've read about it and I've got to say, the show seems like it will annoy me. Mother-daughter duos aren't interesting in their own right. There has to be interesting elements added to the mix, which was done perfectly in Gilmore Girls. I don't see that happening with this show. It's set in Florida (according to the Wikipedia article), for fuck's sake. That kinda annoys me too. It just seems like it'll be cheesy. And not the fun kinda cheesy but more like the annoying and sometimes slightly gross kind. I will watch it though, before I make further judgements.

Life on Mars

I was surprised to learn that they were doing a remake of this one. I highly enjoyed the original version via BBC America. I'm not so sure this one will be good because the original is so great. The only way I can see this working is if they get the right balance, like The Office did. I enjoy both versions of The Office. The American version added the right amount of originality without compromising the general premise. So, if the American Life on Mars can do that, it'll be great. But I doubt they'll use "Ballroom Blitz" for music. Ah well.

Worst Week

I occasionally watched The Worst Week of My Life on BBC America and thought it was funny enough. However, I see this one going much the way of the American Coupling where they basically used the same script and the characters come off more as poor imitations of the originals. I hope this isn't the case. I hope it might be better than the original.

(Side note: Sarah Alexander started in both the original series.)

Other Stuff

I will have more to say when the new episodes start coming out. I'll probably write my views on the new season of Degrassi when more is revealed (which apparently won't premiere until October!).

So until I can think of something, adieu.

P.S. I will write before October.

PRETTY SIREN
Blogger: Carrie
Location: Alabama, United States of America
Blog Started: August 26th, 2006

Likes/Dislikes

Favorite Websites
Confessions of an L/L'er
Dark Passions/Nocturnum Forums (Lexana Board)
Patriotes
ryan ray (.ca)
Ask Pocahontas
Incessant Ramblings of a Writer


Custom Search
Link Back
Graphic codes (links) will be added later today.

Credits
Jen @ Patriotes